Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Aspiring Interior Decorator Needs Advice To Get Into School!?

Hello all and thanks for visiting,





Here is the low-down:





I've decided to apply to a community college to study Interior Decorating. One of the (many) admission requirements is that I submit a portfolio. Sounds simple, right? Wrong.





Here's the 'sitch:





My husband and I have moved Several times over the past couple of years as he's been transferred by work again and again. Thankfully he is being transferred back to our home town where we will be staying and where this college happens to be. Simply, my issue is that I'm currently hundreds and hundreds of miles away from any friends/family whom I might volunteer to re-decorate a room in their house and, worst of all, mine and my husband's house is in shambles and boxes per the up-coming move.





My conundrum is - How can I put together a Portfolio without physically decorating a room? Can I submit drawings? Should I download software? If so... how?





Thanks for taking the time!Aspiring Interior Decorator Needs Advice To Get Into School!?
I think this is the perfect time to show your creativity. I think you should submit drawings, but based on clientele that youv'e made up. 'This is Bob Smith, he recently moved from Florida to Colorado. Bob really misses the ocean, and wants his new home to incorporate the look of the beach with out looking out of place here in Coloroado, so here is a sketch that I drew up for him...' 'This is Myrtle, Myrtle has been hounded by her family to update her home, which has been decorated by numerous mementos her and her recenlty deceased husband have collected over the fifty years they have been together. Here is a sketch I made for Myrtle, streamlining her look, but still including her beloved treasures...'


I would imagine that a community college would not expect you to already have 'clientele' but by doing a mock clientele list, you are showing that you can be creative, that you can think ahead, and that you are willing to listen to what your 'clientele' wants.





I'm glad I could help! I think one or two livingrooms, 1 or 2 bedrooms, 1 or 2 kitchens, and then maybe a bathroom, den, etc. You might want to also sketch something non residential, a restaurant would be good, then do something you wouldn't normally think to decorate, like a hospital, they will love a story about how you want the ill to feel good while they are away from home. A little over a year ago, I inquired about going back to school for the same thing, but decided not to for now, maybe when my kids are older, but anyway, the school was ready to take me without any portfolio, they asked for some pics, and said I could bring in pics of what I had done at home, but they enrolled me right then and there without seeing anything, they did not seem too demanding. The schools right now are wanting students, you will really need your 'think outside the box' mindset more so after school, this is a very competitive market right now, I'm sure you will be great! Best of luck!Aspiring Interior Decorator Needs Advice To Get Into School!?
Congratulations on your decision to go back to school. Having just graduated with my Interior Design degree I feel comfortable in telling you that the those that will be evaluating you for acceptance are not looking for a professional design portfolio. The idea here is to assess your ability to succeed in the program. Clearly, if you had magazine quality photos of spaces you had already designed you wouldn't need the diploma. KT gave you good advice about creating a client and then designing a space specifically for them. Interior design is about solving problems and therefore it's important to understand your client and their needs. You'll definitely want to write up a profile of the client, your concept for the design, and then perhaps a bit about why you chose what you did. Don't worry about getting too technical or too elaborate. Mostly you want to justify your selections. In addition to the sketches you could also create a display board or two (the kind like you'd see on HGTV's Designer's Challenge). In fact you can even do this electronically. You can select images from anywhere on the web and combine them collage style to create the look and feel you're going for. Check out www.polyvore.com. It's easy and fun. Best of all is that you can then either print or send the finished products wherever you like. This will give you the chance to show how you might combine fabric, furniture, lighting, artwork, etc. Also for your portfolio, it needn't be only interior design. Are you an artist? Can you sketch? Do you sew? How about a photographer? Any of these things will also show your creativity. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't sell yourself short. If the admissions committe is looking for specifics they'll let you know, otherwise submit those things that show your creativity. Good luck.
  • napoleon perdis
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment